Friday, January 29, 2010

Black Bart, MTV and others...

I dont think I really agree with Gerbner even though he has those surveys as proof it just makes me wonder who exactly is he surveying. Is there a variety or just one group like the survey where the question ask "Is it okay for whites to keep blacks out of their neigborhood?," Seriously are they just asking whites and if they are, it's okay for that specific question because it is geared towards seeing what the whites are thinking about that topic specifically. But what kind of whites are we talking here, a bunch of racist if you ask me. Why would anyone not see a problem with doing that? Heck, the majority of serial killers are white males, I think that people should understand in this day and age that there are voilent and defective people in all race and ethnicity and it would be stupid to base your judgements on sterotypes or television shows. I do watch my fair share of reality tv shows and MTV and all those shows that serves no pupose but to entertain people and I don't think that it really clouds my judgement on anything. I don't believe that a woman's job is to clean the house or stay at home with the kids. A woman should have every right to go out and get the bacon just as much as the guy does_I personally love to work for every penny I spend and I do watch a lot of those reality tv shows that Gerbner is saying gives people like me a negative visual of what the real world is like. I watch tv but I know what the real world is. I'm not going to be surprised if I saw a mother keeping her family together by working nonstop and I'm not going to expect that I can ask for a glass of warm milk and cookies from everyone's grandmother. It is what it is_I watch tv for entertainment not for guidance.
The Simpsons is actually one of the first cartoon I ever remember watching as a kid. Till this day I don't really know what race the characters in the Simpsons are supposed to be because they are clearly yellow and yellow is usually associated with the asian race and I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be asians. It's like they are white but arguably though. It's weird how they make the supposedly white people yellow but the black characters are easily identified. But anyways I don't even see what the big deal was when they turned Bart into a black charater.
First off I just want to say that "Next" was probably one of my favorite on MTV. As ridiculously fake and stupid as it was, I found it quite entertaining. Again I disagree that any show such as Next gives people a false perspective of reality because when we are put in the real situation I don't think that anyone would act the way the people on the show would and those who do are probably the very young people that shouldn't be in that kind of situation anyways. On the show next when they have the male as the one who goes out with the five different girls_I know that the male objectify the woman and that is wrong but they also have shows that the girls do the same thing. They used as one example that when a guy was nexted he said that the girl was flat and but its not like when the roles are switched that the girls wouldnt insult the guy too if she was nexted_I just think that its in human nature and its how we cope with rejection. It's not like a guy would really think a girl is a slut if he liked her and he knew that she liked him back. As for the girl who flashed the guy because she got nexted I agree that was stupid and if I was put into that situation I know I would keep my boobs to myself and I hope that people don't actually think thats cool because I have enough sense to watch that and say that was stupid so i do expect others to feel the same way. Just because you watch something doesn't mean you have to let it make your decisions for you, just like you shouldn't believe everything you read. You read something and you use sense to believe what you think is right_you watch something and you use sense to act the way you think is right. One thing that I really found interesting about this essay and it could be just me but everytime I read something that gives you an option between him/her or he/she and so on, they always put the he first. I always noticed this so one time I wrote a paper and I used she/he and when the teacher was editing my paper she told me that I should change it to he/she because it looked and sounded better, of course I didn't agree with her so I didn't change it. She took a point off and said it was because I didnt take her critique into consideration. So I admire the author for using she first.

No comments:

Post a Comment